Sausage and Veggie Cauliflower Rice is the epitome of the perfect Summertime dish… and it’s totally customize-able with all of your favorite veggies!
My friend Erin posted a “random” dinner creation on Instagram back in June. The gist of it was rice, zucchini, frozen corn and broccoli, chicken sausage, and a whole ‘lotta Dijon mustard. Delicious, right?
I’m quite certain I made this version of it at least three times between the middle of June to the beginning of July. Clearly it had become an obsession.
Once July hit, though, I had to switch things up a bit. Not because I was bored of it (I’m not sure that’d be possible), but because most grains needed to take a backseat for awhile as I began working with my functional medicine practitioner. That meant that white rice became cauliflower rice and corn became peas and asparagus. Luckily, the zucchini, chicken sausage, and Dijon all got to stick around.
I had a food sensitivity test (which I still have mixed feelings about since they can produce false negatives and positives) done in July and got my results back only to find out that I am apparently sensitive to so many of my favorite foods… one of them being AVOCADO! That’s right, folks. No more avocado or guacamole for me for awhile (food sensitivities normally don’t last forever and foods can usually be reintroduced once the gut is healed)!! Should we all go have a cry fest?
Who am I kidding? YOU probably aren’t sensitive to avocado! So why would you be crying? But pretty please at least feel a little bit sorry for me. And be sure to eat #alltheavocado on this dish since I can’t. Hummus will have to suffice even though we know it is totally not up to par.
Serves 4 to 6
1 large head of cauliflower, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 chicken sausages (I love these)
1 heaping TB of red palm oil
1/2 of a large red onion, diced
1 medium zucchini, chopped (yellow squash also works)
1 bag of frozen veggies*
1/4 cup of packed cilantro, finely chopped
1 1/2 TB of garlic powder
1 TB of onion powder
1/2 TB of ground turmeric
1 tsp of fine sea salt
1 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp of ground ginger
1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
4 green onions, chopped
Dijon mustard, guacamole, and/or hummus for topping
*Choose whatever vegetable(s) you love for a total of approximately 2 cups worth. I went with frozen peas and frozen cut asparagus. Swap out the peas with broccoli for a Paleo version.
1. Begin by ricing the cauliflower. Place chopped florets in a food processor and process until it resembles the texture of rice. Be careful not to over-process. Set aside.
2. Once the cauliflower is riced, heat sausages over medium heat, flipping occasionally, for approximately 10 minutes. Once cooled, slice into half-inch rounds.
3. While the sausage is warming, begin sauteing the remaining vegetables. Heat red palm oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, lower the heat to medium and add red onion and zucchini. Saute for approximately five minutes. Add chosen frozen veggies, cover, and continue cooking for approximately 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
4. Once the veggies are cooked through, stir in sausages, cauliflower rice, and cilantro. Season and stir until mixed well.
5. Top with green onions, mustard, and desired dip.