So…I have been a “bad” blogger. I have graciously been nominated for the Liebster Award by several bloggers over the past six months (which I am VERY thankful for and humbled by), but I have yet to write my own Liebster Award post in response. A little over a month ago (yes, that long ago ;)), Sarah at Making Thyme for Health nominated me for the award. It was then that I decided that it was about time that I actually acknowledged and responded to this great blogging award. Why now? Honestly, I am not sure. But hey, it is better late than never, right? 😉
Now, I suppose that I will still be going against the grain a bit with this post. I am not exactly going to follow the “rules” to a tee. I hope to tell you a little bit more about me with the 11 Random Facts about me, and then I will answer Sarah’s questions. I do not think that my life is all that thrilling, but hopefully you will enjoy learning some new tidbits and fun facts about me! 😉
11 Things About Me
1. I am an animal lover, but I am REALLY a dog lover! I have two puppy dogs who, unfortunately, live at my parents’ house so I do not get to see them nearly as often as I would like to. Lola is a labradoodle (lab and poodle mix) and Sadie is a goldendoodle (golden retriever and poodle mix). They have the same father, so they really are sisters!
Not their best pictures ever, but I am pretty sure that you can still tell how cute they are! 😉
2. I have been a vegetarian for approximately 16 months, and I can honestly say that I do not miss meat! Well, other than the occasional craving for a pork tenderloin sandwich (there really is no good vegetarian substitution for this) and my dad’s meatloaf. It is a good thing that I have my vegetarian “meatloaf” recipe when I get cravings for the loaf!
3. My “dream job” would be to work as a full-time healthy living blogger/freelance writer/vegetarian cookbook author. Maybe someday, right? 😉
4. My favorite color is yellow!! Any one who knows me well knows that I have an obsession for all things yellow. There is just something so bright and cheery about this color. Surprisingly, though, I do not own very many articles of yellow clothing. I tend to be drawn towards the blacks, grays, and whites when it comes to clothes.
5. I have a slight obsession with reality TV. Some of my favorite shows include: The Bachelor/Bachelorette, Big Brother, The Amazing Race, The Voice, and of course several of the “trashy” reality shows found on MTV and TLC ;).
6. I played volleyball and tennis in high school and was on my school’s dance team. I still LOVE to play volleyball when I get the chance. Mostly, however, I like to live vicariously through others and watch college volleyball games. I am also a fan of the MLB. White Sox = yay! Cubs = nay!
7. I have always been a pretty big bookworm. Now that I am finished with college, I am starting to get back into the swing of “reading for fun.” The whole idea of this is still pretty foreign to me. Some books that I have read recently and enjoyed include What Alice Forgot, Skinnydipping, and Gone Girl.
8. I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology and a Master of Science degree in Academic Advising. Oh, and I am currently entertaining the idea of going back to school to get a health/nutrition-related degree. Apparently I just cannot get enough of the academic world!
9. I have broken two bones in my lifetime (and hopefully the number will stay at 2!): my right pinky finger during volleyball practice in 10th grade, and my nose during my senior year of high school. Well actually…my dog broke my nose. We were playing fetch and when I reached down to pick up the ball she was so excited and head-butted me in the face. Let’s just say that it was not a good experience!
10. My current top favorite food cuisine is Indian food. I seriously cannot get enough of it! Some of my favorite dishes are red lentil dal, saag, chana masala, and basically anything involving curry.
11. I am going to be a bridesmaid in both of my best friends’ weddings this year. Apparently it is the year for weddings!
And now to Sarah’s questions for me…
1. What is your favorite vegetable?
This is pretty much impossible for me to answer because I love SO many vegetables. Therefore, I will narrow it down to 5 ;): sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, spinach, and asparagus.
2. Who are you closest to in your life?
This is easy…definitely my parents! They are awesome.
3. Where is your favorite place to be?
My favorite place to be is anywhere that I am surrounded by family, friends, and my puppy dogs.
4. What do you do for work and do you enjoy it?
I work as an academic advisor for a university located in the Omaha, Nebraska area. I really enjoy my job AND my co-workers :).
5. Where is the coolest place you have ever traveled to?
My traveling, thus far, has not been very worldly, but my absolute favorite place to visit is New York City.
6. Who is your favorite author?
This is tough because I do not really feel that I have a “favorite.” In high school and college I really love Sarah Dessen’s novels, but right now I am all about reading books from various authors.
7. What accomplishment are you most proud of?
My biggest accomplishments have been being published in a scholarly peer-reviewed psychological research journal as an undergraduate student, graduating with Summa Cum Laude honors from college, and graduating with my Master’s degree.
8. What is your favorite part of your body?
I like both my arms and my abs. I work hard on those babies!
9. What is your favorite meal of the day?
Honestly, I cannot choose because I just LOVE food. Breakfast and I are pretty good friends, though ;). I also love eating breakfast for dinner!
10. Have you always been healthy? If not, what made you want to start?
No, I definitely did not eat very healthy growing up or during my college years. I started experiencing problems with acid reflux during college, and at the end of 2011 I became completely fed up with how I was feeling. In January of 2012 I became a vegetarian and developed an entirely new and healthy eating lifestyle. I love what I eat now and I love how it has positively affected my health.
11. What is your favorite holiday?
I am a big fan of Thanksgiving and Christmas since they both involve lots of delicious food and a great deal of family time. The 4th of July is another favorite holiday of mine, too. You cannot beat barbecue food, amazing weather, and fireworks :).
Now it is your turn! Tell me a random fact about you, or answer one, two, or three of Sarah’s questions!