You are about to see a short and simple post for a short and simple recipe. Let’s keep it easy, folks! 🙂
water, for cooking
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 yellow onion, diced
1/4 large green bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup sliced baby bell mushrooms
1 cup fresh spinach, roughly chopped
olive oil cooking spray
1 whole wheat tortilla
1/4 cup pizza sauce
1/4 cup shredded cheese (I used Trader Joe’s vegan mozzarella “cheese”)
1. Line a small skillet with a thin layer of water. Heat over medium-high heat until very hot. Once hot, lower the heat to medium and add garlic, onion, peppers, and mushrooms. Cook for approximately 6 to 8 minutes, or until softened. Add additional water, as needed.
2. Add spinach. Lower the heat to medium-low and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the spinach has wilted.
3. Preheat a griddle pan over medium heat. Spray the pan with olive oil cooking spray.
4. Place the tortilla onto the pan. Top half of the tortilla with pizza sauce, cooked vegetable mixture, additional desired toppings (I used pineapple and black olives), and cheese.
5. Fold the tortilla in half. Cook for approximately 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until golden-brown.
A perfectly crisp tortilla makes for the best quesadilla!
I made this for lunch on Sunday, and it was one of the simplest meals to throw together.
If you like pizza and you like quesadillas (honestly, who does not like either one of these two! ;)), then I can pretty much guarantee that this will make for the perfect lunch or snack for you!