Now and then my creative juices are flowing and my mind begins to wander and I think, “what if,” or “I wonder what that would taste like.” It is at these moments that things like this happen…
…and boy, I am sure glad that it did!
Fruit Pizza Whole Wheat Pancakes
Servings: makes 2 large pancakes
EVOO cooking spray
For the pancakes:
3/4 to 1 cup of whole wheat flour (I started with 3/4 cup and added an additional 1/8 cup)
1 TB baking powder
1 packet of natural sweetener (I used Truvia)
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch of ginger
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup water
For the toppings:
1 wedge of Laughing Cow cinnamon cream cheese spread (you could also use the strawberry flavor)
assorted fruit (I used blueberries, strawberries, 1 kiwi, and 1 mandarin orange)
1. Combine the dry pancake ingredients into a large mixing bowl (flour, baking powder, sweetener, salt, cinnamon, and ginger).
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (almond milk, vanilla extract, egg, and water).
3. Stir the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients until well-combined.
4. Heat a griddle pan over medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
5. Pour half of the pancake batter onto the griddle. Cook approximately 3-5 minutes, or until the top of the pancake begins to bubble and the bottom of the pancake is golden brown.
6. Carefully flip the pancake and cook an additional 2-4 minutes, or until the second side is golden brown.
7. Repeat steps 4 through 6 for the second pancake.
8. Top each pancake with half of the cream cheese wedge and top with fruit.
This was by far one of the tastiest breakfasts that I have eaten in months.
Taste is incredibly important, of course, but let us not forget that these pancakes are also quite healthy! These Fruit Pizza Whole Wheat Pancakes are made with whole wheat flour and other natural ingredients (as opposed to coming from a box), are topped with a low-calorie cream cheese substitute (there are only 45 calories per Laughing Cow wedge), and are topped with a very generous serving of vitamin and nutrient-rich fruits.
Fruit Pizza Whole Wheat Pancakes are incredibly filling, too! I ate these for a late breakfast (11:30..oops!) and was not hungry for lunch again until around 3:30. And trust me, it is very rare for me to go 4 hours without being hungry!
How delicious looking and colorful are these pancakes? Yum!