Since transitioning to a vegetarian lifestyle, veggie burgers and black bean burgers have become staple meals when I am seeking something that is quick and easy to prepare. You may remember my mention of making black bean burgers from the Everyday Happy Herbivore cookbook during a past WIAW post. Earlier this week, I took this recipe and adapted it slightly to create my own black bean burgers using just a few simple, staple ingredients.
Black Bean Burgers
Makes 4 burgers (2 servings, in my case)
Following is the original recipe from the Everyday Happy Herbivore cookbook. My additions are added in italics:
1 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
2 TB of ketchup
1 TB of yellow mustard
2 tsp of dill pickle relish
1 tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp of onion powder
1/2 tsp of black pepper
1/2 tsp of ground cumin
salt, to taste
1/3 cup of instant oats
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly spray a baking sheet with EVOO cooking spray.
2. Mash black beans with a fork or a potato masher. Be sure to leave some bean halves and pieces.
3. Add condiments and spices to beans and stir until well-combined.
4. Stir in instant oats.
5. Divide bean mixture into four portions. Shape each portion into a patty and place on baking sheet.
6. Bake for 10 minutes, flip, then bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until the burgers are golden brown and begin to get crispy.
7. Serve on a bun, toast, or alone and top with your favorite burger toppings.
I served my black bean burgers open-faced on a piece of toasted whole wheat bread and topped them with onions and Dijon mustard (normally I would add lettuce and tomatoes, but I did not have any on hand). On the side I enjoyed vegetarian baked beans and a pickle spear.
These vegetarian burgers are incredibly easy and fast to make, healthy, and delicious. Go make them! 🙂