Maybe it is a result of nostalgia, but there is just something so comforting and cozy about peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I suppose that they remind me of my childhood and of home. As a result, the PB & J sandwich has been making many appearances on my plate, as of lately. You may remember my post for a Grilled Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich from a few months back. Well, this time, I decided to make a more “adult” version of the classic sandwich and make a Sweet and Savory Grilled PB & J using two special ingredients: chickpeas and grapes! Yes, you read that right. Now, now…don’t knock it until you try it!
Sweet and Savory Grilled Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich
Servings: Makes 1 sandwich
olive oil cooking spray
1/3 of a 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and dried (I actually roasted the whole can and ate the rest for snacks)
4 large red or black seedless grapes, sliced
2 pieces whole wheat bread
2 to 3 TB peanut butter
2 TB jelly or jam (I used blackberry jam)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
2. Place chickpeas and sliced grapes onto the baking sheet. Spray with olive oil spray and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper.
3. Roast the chickpeas and grapes for approximately 20 minutes. Remove the grapes from the baking sheet and continue roasting the chickpeas for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, or until crispy.
4. Preheat a skillet or griddle pan over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray. Spread one slice of bread with coconut oil and place onto the griddle with the coconut oil side facing down.
5. Top the first piece of bread with peanut butter and chickpeas.
6. Top the peanut butter and chickpeas with roasted grapes. My grapes cooked for too long and some were way too burnt to include on the sandwich, so my grape to chickpea ratio was a bit off :(.
7. Spread the second piece of bread with coconut oil on one side and the jelly or jam on the second side. Place this slice of bread onto the first slice of bread with the coconut oil side facing up.
8. Cook for approximately 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until the bread is crispy and golden brown.
And, as always, ensure that you cut the sandwich on a diagonal ;).
It is no secret that I am a big fan of the sweet and savory combination, and that is exactly what you get with this grilled sandwich. Roasted chickpeas are absolutely amazing on their own (yes, I eat chickpeas as a snack ;)), but adding them to the sweet combination of peanut butter and jelly is beyond amazing. The sweetness of the grapes nicely compliments the savory taste of the chickpeas, too! Seriously, this combination is to. die. for.
Oh, and if the taste of this sandwich alone is not enough, it is also PACKED with protein! My Sweet and Savory Grilled PB & J Sandwich clocked in at about 20 grams of protein.
Trust me when I say that I have absolutely no issue with eating a “kid-friendly” sandwich. However, being able to eat a more “adult” version of this classic favorite made for a nice change. Please try to tell me that savory and crunchy roasted chickpeas, melted peanut butter, and sweet grapes and jam on perfectly toasted bread do not sound good to you. If you love the sweet and savory combination half as much as I do, then this is a sandwich that you need to add to your “to make” list ASAP :).