More than a year after adopting a vegetarian diet, I am still continually amazed by the foods that I not only eat, but crave. Did I like BBQ pulled pork sandwiches before I ate a vegetarian diet? I did not hate them, but I sure did not crave them and they were not something that I would ever order at a restaurant. Did I like coleslaw? Well, only if you were referring to KFC’s coleslaw. Any other kind, and I was not a fan! As a result, you can probably understand my surprise when I actually found myself craving a BBQ pulled pork sandwich topped with coleslaw. Obviously pork was not going to cut it, but my good friend tofu stepped right in and did a fabulous (maybe even better?) job!
BBQ Pulled Tofu Sandwich with Spicy Sriracha Coleslaw
Servings: 2 sandwiches
For the Coleslaw:
1/2 small carrot, peeled and shredded
3/4 cup green cabbage, shredded
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 to 1 tsp sriracha sauce, depending on your preferred level of heat (I used 1/2 a tsp)
2 TB vegan mayo (I used Vegenaise brand)
1/2 packet natural sweetener (Truvia or Stevia)
salt, to taste
For the BBQ Pulled Tofu:
water, for cooking
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 yellow onion, diced
1/2 block extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
3/4 cup BBQ sauce
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
1. Mix all coleslaw ingredients together in a medium bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Line a large skillet with a thin layer of water. Heat over medium-high heat until very hot. Once hot, lower the heat to medium and cook garlic and onions for approximately 6 minutes, or until softened. Add additional water, as necessary
3. Crumble tofu and add to the skillet. Cook 8-10 minutes, or until the tofu begins to take on a golden hue. Add additional water, as necessary, to prevent burning and sticking.
4. Add all remaining ingredients and stir well to combine. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
5. Scoop half of the BBQ Pulled Tofu mixture onto a whole wheat bun or thin bun. Top the tofu mixture with half of the coleslaw. Top with the whole wheat bun.
I served my BBQ Pulled Tofu Sandwich alongside roasted parsnip fries which, by the way, are seriously delicious!
Oh, and let’s not forget the required dill pickle spear on the side ;).
I can honestly say that I prefer the taste and texture of using tofu in this barbecue sandwich as opposed to using pork. I have said it before and I will say it again…who needs meat when you can eat this good?? Oh, and if you take only one thing away from this sandwich at all, make it the Spicy Sriracha Coleslaw. I am definitely a coleslaw lover, but after making a spicy version I am REALLY a coleslaw lover. I cannot imagine making any other kind. Even if you must use pork instead of tofu ;), at least make sure that you top it with some Spicy Sriracha Coleslaw.
This is a fabulous vegan version of an American classic that you just have to give a try! Seriously..you will not regret it :).