What is your favorite vegetable? How about your top five favorite vegetables?
Was this one of them?
I am almost certain that few, if any people, would choose radishes as one of their favorite vegetables. However, after this recipe, you just might change your mind! I am about to prove to you that not only are radishes good for you, but when cooked right, they are quite tasty!
Roasted Radish Chips
8-10 radishes, washed and sliced into thin pieces
EVOO cooking spray
fine sea salt
*Sorry, I do not measure the spices for this recipe!
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray generously with EVOO cooking spray.
3. Place radish slices onto the baking sheet in a single layer.
4. Spray the radish slices with EVOO cooking spray.
5. Sprinkle the radish slices with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
6. Roast for 15 minutes.
7. Remove radishes from the oven and flip. Roast an additional 5-15 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Be certain to watch them carefully towards the end of the roasting process to prevent burning.
Roasting radishes will forever change your view of this normally not-so-popular vegetable. The roasting process almost entirely removes the bitter taste that is normally associated with radishes. Instead, you are left with a crispy radish chip that resembles the taste of a starchy vegetable, like a potato. The seasonings take the delicious flavor of this vegetable over the top. I can promise you, you have never tasted a radish that tastes as good as these!
I enjoy eating these as a night-time snack. I generally pair them with other vegetables, like carrots and celery, and love to dip them in hummus or Dijon mustard. I am pretty certain you will never find a chip-based snack containing only 20 calories for an entire serving!
Roasted radish chips also make a great addition to a salad.
Still skeptical? Give roasting radishes a try! I mean really…what have you got to lose?