I am not kidding you…this is the best homemade grilled cheese that I have ever made or eaten (and that’s saying a lot because we used to make some pretty great grilled cheese sandwiches back in my college days ). Trust me when I say that you are definitely going to want to make this!
Avocado and Tomato Grilled Cheese
EVOO cooking spray
2 pieces of 100% whole wheat bread
1-2 TB coconut oil
2 pieces of cheese, whatever kind that you desire (I used 2 pieces of part-skim sharp cheddar cheese)
1/2 Roma tomato, sliced
1/2 avocado, sliced
1/8 yellow or red onion, cut into slices
1. Spray a small skillet with EVOO cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
2. Spread coconut oil (you could also use better, if desired) onto one side of each piece of bread.
3. Place one piece of bread (coconut oil side down) into the pan. Top with one piece of cheese, onions, tomatoes, and avocado.
4. Place the second piece of bread (coconut oil side up) onto the rest of the sandwich.
5. Cook the sandwich for several minutes, checking the bottom slice of the bread occasionally until it is golden brown.
6. Carefully flip the sandwich over and continue cooking an additional couple minutes, or until the bottom side becomes golden brown.
After removing the Avocado and Tomato Grilled Cheese Sandwich from the pan, it should look something like this:
7. Cut the grilled cheese, if desired. I always cut my grilled cheese sandwiches diagonally. I guess that is just something that I have always done since my childhood.
I enjoyed this delicious grilled cheese sandwich with a side of roasted green beans.
Seriously guys (and gals! ), does this not look amazing?
Of course I was loving the tomatoes, avocado and cheese, but one of my absolute favorite parts of this sandwich was how perfectly golden brown and crispy the bread got. Normally when I make a grilled cheese sandwich, one side ends up golden brown and the other side just doesn’t get as crispy as I would like. The secret? I am definitely thinking that the use of coconut oil made all of the difference! I have read about the benefits of coconut oil and have come across dozens of recipes on food blogs that utilize it. I finally caved and bought some (it can be somewhat pricey) and am so glad that I did. I will never make a grilled cheese sandwich without it again. I hope that you will give this grilled cheese recipe a try, and that you will also make your first grilled cheese sandwich using coconut oil .